Outlook error 0x8004060c – Organizations and business individuals like to work around MS Outlook as it extensively manages all activities on a single platform. It plays an important role in the day-to-day activities of an organization.
When a user encounters an Outlook error, it can interrupt an organization’s communications and meetings. Any such error needs to be acted upon and rectified as soon as possible. While one error may be more effective than another, the fix for one issue may be very different from another.
Since the errors in these scenarios vary, the reasons for this error will also vary. There may be several possible logical or physical corruption that may be the cause of this error. Some of the most common reasons are:
- Exchange server outage
- Synchronization problem between MS Outlook and Exchange Server
- A corrupt PST or OST file
- Virus infection or malware attack
- Outlook has reached its maximum defined storage capacity
Of all the reasons listed above, the most common reason is an oversized PST or OST file leading to the maximum defined storage capacity for Outlook. Let us first discuss improvements to reach storage limits.
Ways to Fix “Outlook error 0x8004060c”
1. Empty Items Folder – Manually
As you may have noticed, Outlook did not directly delete the items you selected. However, it moves those items from the Active folder to the Deleted Items folder. This is done to help you recover any email or meeting that was accidentally deleted. But the size of this folder can grow immensely as this folder is not cleaned manually by users. Therefore, it needs to be emptied quickly to gain some space.
You have to click on the File button in the top left of your Outlook and select the information. Then click on Tools.
- This will open a short list. From the list, select ‘Ed Blank Deleted Items Folder’.
- A new window will pop up, and you have to click on ‘Empty Folder’ and then press OK or press Enter.
2. Empty Items Folder – Automatic
Now, to ensure that the size of the Deleted Items folder is always in check, whenever you exit the Outlook application, you must turn on the settings to empty this folder. This option will automate the cleaning of the Deleted Items folder for you.
- Click the File button on the menu bar of the Outlook application. Click on information.
- Choose the Options menu button on the left.
- Click on Advanced.
- To the right of Outlook Start and Exit, upon exiting Outlook click the option for ‘Empty Deleted Items folder and click OK.
3. Mailbox cleanup
If the above methods did not fix the problem for you, then it is more likely that most of the space has been consumed by your active folders and needs to be cleaned. Manual sorting and cleaning can take hours to free up space mainly because there is a limit to the size of email messages, which is mostly 25 MB. Deleting some emails can only temporarily fix the problem for you. The issue will be up again in a few days. So, you need to clean some important space and further ensure that free space is maintained. Let us first discuss the cleaning part.
- From the Outlook menu bar, go to File> Info.
- On the right, you will see a tool button with a drop-down sign. Click on it and choose ‘Mailbox Cleanup’ from the list.
- This will open a new window. Choose the ‘Find items larger than’ option and select the size that you find appropriate. The default is set to 250 KB. After this click on Find button.
- It will scan your Outlook items and list all mail and other items that exceed 250 KB. You can then delete those items and free up considerable space without manually scrolling through your email.
Even if this step is able to fix your problem, proceed to ensure a permanent solution.
4. Auto pickup
If the above steps worked for you, congratulations. You have found the solution to one of the most problematic issues in Outlook. But, you need to auto-archive your emails to make sure that this issue does not revive for you in a few months. This option is very useful because it clears space from your drive without removing email or other items. This will move old emails from your current storage location to another location. These old emails will still be accessible to you.
- Go to the Advanced Options menu as shown in the options above. Go to File -> Options -> Advanced.
- Click the AutoArchive Settings button under the Autoarchive heading.
- This will open a new window, select the ‘arch run autocarve’ option and then choose the number of days ahead. This prompt is optional to check the user option. Click the browse option to select the location where the old items will be moved. Then click on OK.
5. Remove Duplicate Email:
By default, a copy of each email you send to your partner will remain in your Inbox and your Sent Items folder. In this way, the copied emails occupy unnecessary Outlook space. To eliminate these copied forwarded files, you can take effective measures:
- Manual Method:
- Go to the Sent Items folder and sort it by the recipient
- Click on the header to complete the task
- Automatic Settings:
- Go to files tab
- Choose option and click save message section
- Go to the Send section and uncheck the option ed ‘Save a copy of the forwarded message’
- Click OK to save the changes you made
Restore individual emails:
A user can restore different emails in different formats at different locations and save attachments at the same location for future use. For this purpose, the user can right click on the email and click on the Save As option and then select the required format to save the file. Next, save the attachment in the same folder.
Use third-party tools:
If a user wants to speed up the process of recovering PST files, the user should enlist the help of third-party PST recovery software that is capable of restoring and splitting PST files to the desired size.
Outlook error 0x8004060C can be easily fixed by following any of the above procedures. Some methods consume time to complete the task, so it would be better to seek the help of third-party software such as kernel for Outlook PST repair to fix this problem immediately.
Following these options, users will receive 100% full PST files and can then access Outlook files flawlessly.
In this blog, we discussed in detail the of Outlook error 0x8004060C. First, we covered the original meaning of this error and the various forms of error encountered by users. Then we covered the various reasons behind this error and how PST and corrupted PST are the most common causes. We provided quick fixes and Toll free Outlook helpline number +1-877-804-0107 auto archiving steps to fix the problem once and for all.