Have you upgraded to Windows 10 and are not able to detect all features due to activation errors? There are some common activation errors that may appear on your newly installed Windows 10. Learn what this activation error means, common Windows 10 activation errors and how to fix them below.
If you upgrade to Windows 10, the new OS will take the product key and activation details from your earlier OS. These are then saved on your Microsoft server along with your PC details. If you clean Windows for the first time, you may face activation problems. If you first made an upgrade, activated Windows 10, and then installed Windows 10 on the same PC, then there would be no activation issue as the OS would pull the activation details from Microsoft Server.
Troubleshoot Windows 10 Activation Errors
We can’t activate windows 10
Windows 10 not activated after upgrading from Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 update for free
If you encounter a non-active state after upgrading to Windows 10 to free follow the instructions below:
- Click on Start and then choose Settings> Updates and Security> Activation.
- Go to the store and see if you can see the valid license available for your device. If a valid license is not available, you will need to purchase Windows from the store.
If there is no Go to Store option on your activation page, contact your organization’s support.
Lower-level verification detected tamper-proof Windows binaries. (Error code: 0xC004C4AE)
If you are using a third-party application to add a display language that is not currently supported by Windows then you may get the above error. Restoring your PC to an earlier point to undo the changes made to Windows.
The software licensing service determined that this specified product key could only be used for upgrades and not for clean installations. (Error code: 0xC004F061)
The above activation error occurs if a previous version of Windows was not installed on your PC before entering the product key to upgrade to Windows 10.. To continue the upgrade process, you must already have Windows 8 or Windows 7 on your PC.
A networking problem has occurred while activating your copy of Windows. (Error code: 0xC004FC03)
This activation error occurs when your PC is not connected to the Internet, or the firewall settings on your PC are preventing Windows from doing the activation process online. In this case, make sure that you are connected to the Internet, and that the firewall is not trying to block Windows from being activated. If you are still experiencing this problem, you can try to activate Windows through the phone.
Activation Server reported that the product key has exceeded its unlock limit. (Error code: 0xC004C008)
The error occurs when the product key you are trying to use has already been used on a different PC, or is being used on more than one PC than the Microsoft Software License Terms . Fix this activation problem by purchasing a product key for each of your PCs to activate Windows on them.
You can purchase the product key from the Windows Store by following these steps:
- Click on Start and then choose Settings> Updates and Security> Activation.
- Go to the store and follow the instructions shown to purchase Windows.
This product key is not working (error code: 0xC004C003)
If you are using an invalid product key then the above activation error usually occurs. You must purchase a new product key. If you have purchased a PC with Windows pre-installed, you will need to contact the PC manufacturer for the original key.
Also Read: How to fix error code 100 on Xbox?
The activation server reported that the multiple activation key exceeded its limit. (Error code: 0xC004C020)
This activation error occurs when a volume license (a license that a business buys from Microsoft to install Windows on multiple PCs) is used on more PCs than specified in the Microsoft Software License Terms. To fix this problem, you may want to use a different product key to activate Windows on your PC. Your organization’s support person can help.
DNS name does not exist. (Error code: 0x8007232B)
Are you trying to activate your work PC, which is not connected to your work network? Make sure you are connected to the correct network and then apply the product key.
The file name, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. (Error code: 0x8007007B)
If you see the above activation error even when connected to the work network, you should change your network settings by contacting your organization’s support person.
If there are no support persons in your organization, then you want to enter your product key by following these steps:
- Click ‘Start’ and then choose Settings> Updates and Security> Activation.
- Enter the product key, and the 25-character product key.
Note: You may be prompted to ask for an administrator password or to confirm the option you have selected.
Also Read: Fix Windows 10 Activation error 0x8007267C
A security error occurred. (Error code: 0x80072F8F)
If your computer’s date and time are set incorrectly or Windows is having trouble connecting to the online activation service to verify your product key, you may see this activation error.
To verify the date and time of your PC, follow these steps:
- Click on ‘Start’, choose Settings> Time and language> Date and time
- Make sure your PC is set to the correct date and time.
To check your internet connection, follow these instructions:
- Type “Network Troubleshooter” in the search box on the taskbar, and then select Identify and Fix Network Problems.
- Following the on-screen instructions can fix any problems in your network.
If your network troubleshooter does not detect any problems with the network connection, try rebooting your PC to check which fixes the problem.
The software licensing service reported that the license evaluation failed. (Error code: 0xC004E003)
You may see the above activation error after installing some third-party software that could have changed the system files. Windows activation requires certain system files to complete the activation process. Try to restore your PC’s system files at an earlier time, removing any software you installed after a specified point without affecting your personal files.
unspecified error. (Error code: 0x80004005)
If you are getting an “unspecified error” as an activation error, click ‘Start’ and then choose Settings> Updates and Security> Activation, and choose Active Windows to try and activate your PC. If this does not work, you will need to reset your PC.
Also Read: How to Star Rate files in Windows 10?
Resolution for other activation errors:
- Unable to activate windows 10 (0xc0ea000a)
- Windows 10 activation error 0xC004F012
- Windows activation error 0xC004F211
- Windows 10 license cannot be found to activate Windows – 0x803F7001
- Windows 10 has been upgraded, but Windows 10 has not been reinstalled
- To activate Windows you must use a valid product key – 0x800704cF
- Windows activation errors 0x8007232B, 0xC004F074, 0xC004F038, 0x8007007B
- Invalid product key or version mismatch – activation error codes 0xC004E016, 0xC004F210, 0xC004F034 and 0xC004F00F.
Check out this post if you get one. The key entered does not match any of the Windows images available for the installation message during installation.
Resources that can help you:
- Windows 10 activation troubleshooting
- Windows 10 installation or upgrade errors
- Cannot activate windows 10, product key blocked
- Windows 10 is active but still keeps asking for activation.
Talking about the error code, these posts are also likely to be of interest to you:
- Volume Activation Error Code and Error Message
- Windows errors, system error messages and codes
- Stop windows bug check or error code
- Windows store error code, description, resolution
- Master list of Windows Update error codes.